A new store is opening up in my town (Bracebridge, Ontario) within the next week. It will be a cafe plus an arts and crafts store. The Bohemian Cafe and Gallery is owned by Tammy and her daughter Kristen and they have been working long hours preparing for their grand opening. I as one of the artists will have a display at the store and one of the items I will be selling is a vest which has been airbrushed by my very talented airbrush artist boyfriend. For those that love horses this one features a horse galloping on the back of the vest (see picture below). What we needed was a manikin to display it for sale. This is how I was able to make a very inexpensive manikin out of items which can be found in your house.
I Googled "making a manikin" and found various You-Tube videos on making a manikin out of duct tape. Who would have thought of the idea in the first place "Red Green"?
Supplies I used:
1 Old tight T-Shirt
5 Rolls of Duct Tape (Dollar Store kind)
1 Wood Dowel
1 Small plastic disposable water bottle
1 Lamp base (heavy)
2 pieces of tubing which I scored from 2 solar garden lights
Keeping in an upcycling mindset you can search around your home for various similar items. I have also seen a manikin made with paper packaging tape as well but duct tape was my choice for this project.
You will also need a friend to tape you up. It was a fun project. I giggled right through it.
the neck and arms were also taped shut.
Next cut the bottom off of the water bottle but keep the lid on it. I put the dowel up inside the water bottle and stuffed the bottle with paper. Then I put the water bottle/dowel up inside the manikin. This I did to help stop the dowel from poking up through the neck. After that more newspaper was stuffed inside the manikin to give it substance and to make it like a real body.
An oval was cut from a piece of cardboard the size of the bottom of the manikin. Cut a hole in the centre of the cardboard and slip the oval shape up the dowel and duct tape it to the manikin. I also taped it to the dowel to keep the dowel from slipping out.
Next I found a broken lamp that had a heavy base. This lamp base had a hole big enough to insert my dowel. Before I mounted the dowling onto the base I decided to cover the dowling and used metal tubing which I took from old solar lights that I had around the house. You can also paint the dowel if you wish. I decided to try to match the base of the lamp and these tubes were perfect.
I now have a very functional manikin. Total cost was under $6.00 ~ my purchase at the Dollar Store.
"One should either be a work of art, Or wear a work of art"
- Oscar Wilde